- 1/2 cup walnuts (You can also use pine nuts, almonds, or other nuts)
- 2+ cloves of minced garlic
- 2 cups basil leaves (You can also use arugula, cilantro, or spinach)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional – You can also use nutritional yeast to make a vegan version.)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Grind the nuts finely in a food processor.
- Add minced garlic and basil leaves. Process until mixed well.
- Add cheese, and drizzle in olive oil while running the food processor. Process until the mixture is a smooth paste.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Wondering how to use pesto? Here are a few ideas. Serve with olive oil as a bread dip. Mix into pasta. Mix into a béchamel sauce for a creamy pesto sauce. Mix with vinegar and oil for a tasty salad dressing. Spread on an omelet or frittata. Mix with mayonnaise as a sandwich spread.